Gluten-free Mediterranean Rice & Quinoa Bowl with Salmon Kebabs has fresh herbs and vegetables that will keep you coming back for more!
Now that you’re a pro at making quinoa, it’s time to put your new skills to work to make a gluten-free recipe perfect for Spring – Mediterranean Rice & Quinoa Bowl with Salmon Kebabs!
Mediterranean Rice & Quinoa Bowl with Salmon Kebabs have it all. There isn’t one flavor that stands out. You’ll get some acidity from the dressing, some savory, briney, and tang from the olives and feta, and some aromatics from the fresh herbs. Paired with salmon kebabs for some healthy protein and you’ve got a complete and healthy meal that falls into all your food groups.
Initially, I grilled the salmon kebabs, but I found that roasting them in the oven works just as well and is a little easier because you don’t have to fuss with charcoal or smoke. I especially like how the zucchini roasts at the same time the salmon is cooking.
The bowl is meant to be eaten cold so you can throw everything together ahead of time and toss with the dressing right before serving.
You can even assemble and marinade the kebabs in advance and pop it in the oven right before serving.
We’re going to be keeping this one in rotation for a while, folks!
Yields 3 servings
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, cooled*
- 1 cup cooked white rice, cooled**
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup kale leaves, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 12-15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 10 kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 ½ pounds skinless salmon filet, diced into 1-inch cubes. You should have at least 18 cubes
- 1 zucchini, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 6 wooden skewers
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
Toss all Quinoa Bowl ingredients together in a large bowl.
Whisk together the Dressing for Bowls ingredients and toss with the quinoa and rice when ready to serve.
Preheat oven to 350°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Alternately thread three salmon cubes and three zucchini rounds onto each skewers.
Whisk together the Dressing for Salmon Kebabs ingredients. Drizzle each skewer with the dressing.
Roast in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes until desired salmon doneness is achieved.
Serve with quinoa bowls.
* ⅓ cup of uncooked quinoa will yield 1 cup of cooked quinoa.
** ½ cup of uncooked rice will yield about 1 cup of cooked rice