These Breakfast Sausage & Egg Muffins come with a surprise boiled egg inside and can be made ahead so you have breakfast at the ready for the entire week!
Because it’s Back to School season, I thought I’d share a breakfast recipe that’s quick to grab on busy mornings and give the body a hefty protein boost for the day ahead. These Breakfast Sausage & Egg Muffins are fun for kids and adults and you can make them ahead over the weekend so you have breakfast at the ready for the entire week!
I adapted and slightly modified the recipe from Martha Stewart, who was inspired by Craftsman and Wolves’s The Rebel Within muffin. These savory muffins are studded with breakfast sausage, bell peppers, and cheese and have a delicious boiled egg surprise waiting on the inside! It’s really fun to see people’s reaction when they first bite into them ;)
I used precooked breakfast sausage just to make things easier and partially boiled the eggs before nestling them in the muffin batter. The soft yolks finish cooking while in the oven and come out perfectly. If you want to make the muffins without the egg inside, I also included the modifications that need to be made in the recipe below.
What I love about this recipe is that it is completely customizable to suit everyone’s palate. How about bacon bits or salami cubes instead of sausage? Or, chunks of potato or sweet potato instead of bell pepper? The muffin base is versatile so you can fill it with all of your creative concoctions!
Give these Breakfast Sausage & Egg Muffins a try and let me know how you like them! How would you customize them?
Breakfast Sausage & Egg Muffins
Yields 6 standard muffins
Printer friendly version
7 eggs, room temperature
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder*
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ tablespoon sugar
¼ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup sour cream
⅛ cup water
½ cup red bell pepper, diced
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 ounces pre-cooked breakfast sausage, diced
- Fill a large pot with water (enough to cover 6 eggs) and bring to a boil. Add in 6 eggs and boil for 6 minutes. Transfer to an ice bath and gently peel the boiled eggs. Set peeled eggs aside on a paper towel.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and grease 6 wells of a muffin pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the 1 remaining egg, oil, sour cream and water. Stir in the flour in three additions until combined.
- Fold in the pepper, cheese, and sausage.
- To each muffin well, add about 2 tablespoons of batter. Flatten the batter with the back of a small spoon and nestle in a boiled egg. Top with 2 more tablespoons of batter and use the back of a spoon to seal the batter on the top and bottom together, to seal the seam.
- Bake for 22 – 24 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Run an offset spatula around each muffin to help release and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
*To make muffins without a boiled egg in the center, increase the baking powder to 1 teaspoon and omit all but 1 egg. Begin at Step 2 but preheat the oven to 425°F instead. At Step 6, simply fill the muffin pan ¾ full. Bake at 425°F for 5 minutes. Then, lower the temperature to 400°F and continue baking for an additional 17 – 19 minutes.
Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Adapted and modified from Martha Stewart.